Friday, April 12, 2013

Stone Smoked Porter




My viewers have to hate me for posting so many Stone reviews, but realize that their beers have just started to be released in Iowa in the past 8 or 9 months (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, I'm here to bring you my opinions on the Smoked Porter. Let's shed the ASTMO format and get down to business.

Right of the bat, this beer smells like a campfire. The appearance is that of a porter, so that checks out. It's not as opaque as a black ale or black IPA. I drink it, and the taste isn't over powering. Smokey, like a grill, with a coffe
e/chocolate finish. When I compare it to most of the porters I've had, it ranks 2nd or 3rd. Granted, I'm an IPA guy, so I don't have many porters, yet this beer is pretty phenomenal. Honestly, a great beer.

And it better be, for upwards of seven dollars per bottle. I would say that for the first timer, buy a six pack of Summit or Sierra Nevada porter first so that you can appreciate this beer without a feeling of cognitive dissonance (which means buyer's remorse, I just thought I'd drop that bomb on you).

Overall: 5/6

No comments:

Post a Comment